About our client
The client is a Financial Institution and one of the largest banking groups in Malaysia. The organization believes in dynamic development as an integral factor within its culture and is great place to explore in enhancing career aspirations.
About the role
The role will be responsible to minimize operational risk in the business and form adequate control in the ‘First Line of Defence’. BRCM is a risk and control management function primarily responsible for ensuring that risks in Markets Operations are being managed within risk appetite. It is a global, and cross asset-class, function that works closely with Global and Line Operations management in ensuring that our key controls are adequate in mitigating our material risks. The function is broadly responsible for evaluating risks, monitoring, reviewing, and testing both the design and operation of key controls, driving consistency of the internal control framework across locations where there is a Markets Operations presence, ensuring adherence to risk & control policies, reinforcing control culture and directing control awareness activities, and ensuring that Operations management are accountable for their risks and taking action on a timely basis to remediate.
- Monitor performance of controls and provide valuable recommendations to address control gaps through leading/undertaking desk reviews (such as key controls testing, thematic reviews, etc.) and ensuring that these reviews are executed as part of 1st line of defense role for Markets Operations.
- Ensure that reviews are executed on timely basis and performed within the framework and global requirement.
- Ensure issues and risks are promptly and effectively assessed, escalated and remediated. All issues should be discussed with various stakeholders and get buy in and agreement of issues prior to escalation and tracking purposes.
- Assisting in formulating policy & guidelines for the Group’s back office ops through periodic discourse on sufficiency of current policies with global peers across various sites and policy owners.
- Serve as BRCM focal point for Markets Operations (local and global), internal and external reviewers (GFA, external auditors, FSA and other regulatory bodies) and other support functions (Compliance, Security and Fraud, etc.)
- Ensure timely escalation of operational incidents and issues reporting to ORION Risk Management System.
- Raise awareness, understanding and knowledge of BRCM responsibilities, Operational Risk Framework and Group guidelines and policies (e.g. initiate sharing of knowledge, lead forums, facilitate workshops, trainings, roll out risk and control awareness initiatives).
- Create a harmonious team environment, resolve conflicts effectively and escalate issues, whenever necessary.
- Develop the team, render guidance whenever necessary and provide constructive feedbacks.
- Identify improvements within the process, enhance quality of service, initiate cost reduction initiatives.
- Deliver any ad-hoc projects assigned from time to time related to the BRCM functions.
You will have
- Minimum Degree.
- Risk professional with at least 6-7 years’ combined experience in Banking Operations/Back Office Operations, Operational Risk, Compliance or External/Internal Audit in a banking environment.
- Good understanding of compliance policy, operational risk and controls, preferably gained through experience in front line and risk roles.
- Proven problem solving skills with ability to consider alternative and lateral solutions.
- Highly developed communication and influencing skills.
- Ability to prioritise and work independently under pressure within a team environment.
- Knowledge of the changing regulatory environment.
- A sound knowledge of the Groups businesses, including products & services.
- Leadership, management and coaching skills.